Introduction to Picture Framing & Matting
Designing Your Picture Frames and Mats
- Mat Styles
- Determine Window Size
- Designing Mats for Standard Size Frames
- Designing with Standard Sizes
- Mat Size and Proportion
- Mat Proportion
- Should Mat Bottom be Wider?
- Trends in Matting Design
Measuring and Sizing Picture Frames and Mats
- Measuring and Sizing Picture Frame Mats
- Border Finder
- Measuring for Mats
- How to Calculate Border Size
Costs of Picture Framing
DIY Picture Frames
Cutting mat board sheet to size
- Making the Most of a 32 x 40 Sheet
- Trimming Mat Board to Size
- Trimming Mat Board to Size with Straight Edge
- Trimming Mat Board to Size with Compact
- Trimming Mat Board to Size with Simplex
- Mat Cutting
- Cutting Single Mat Using a Straight Edge
- Cutting a Single Mat With a Simplex-Basics
- Cutting a single mat with a simplex-detailed
- Cutting a double mat
- Cutting a double mat- detailed professional version
- The professional framers secret for cutting a double mat
- How to measure and cut a double mat,
- Cutting a stepped corner mat – basics
- Cutting stepped corner mats – detailed
- Offset (stepped) corner mat
- Cutting a v groove mat with the trim –and-tape method
- Cutting a v groove with the tape – and –flip method
- Cutting a v groove using a logan V groover (discontinued)
Mat Cutter Choices
Mat Cutting Help, Troubleshooting and FAQs
- Slip sheets
- The importance of using a slip sheet when cutting
- The importance of using a backing sheet
- Why am I getting a ragged cut?
- How to avoid rough or ragged edges when cutting mats
- Dealing with inconsistencies in the bevel edges
- Adjusting your mat cutter for proper blade depth
- The importance of proper blade depth
- Why am I getting a hook in the corners or curve in the bevel cut?
- How come I don't cut all the way through the mat board?
- How to conquer overcuts and undercuts?
- Dealing with overcuts and undercuts
- Why am I getting overcuts in the corners?
- Why are my mats not coming out square?
- Why is my bevel cut going the wrong way?
- How to cut left handed
- How to cut a 40" sheet of mat board on the 32" compact mat cutter
- Is using production stops the fool proof way to get perfect mats?
- Tips for working with production stops on your mat cutter
- Basic mat cutter maintenance
Mounting Your Artwork
Methods of Mounting
- Mounting your artwork
- Grappling with conservation and archival mounting concerns
- Supporting Artwork
- Hinge mounting T, V and S methods
- A simple method to a T-hinge mount
- Trapping methods
- Permanent mounting
- Wet mounting
- Pressure sensitive adhesive mounting
- How to mount artwork using positionable mounting adhesive (PMA)
- Spray adhesives
Glazing with Glass and Plastic
Securing or Fitting your Artwork in a Picture Frame
Finishing Your Artwork
Q: Why are my mats not coming out square?
A: First off understand that full sheets of matboard bought at a store will most likely be un-square. To insure all four sides to be square, you must cut all four sides in a perfectly square mat cutter. If you still have the problem consult the instruction manual on how to check and re-square your squaring arm. (machines that have squaring arms only)